Matt is retired and spends most of his time volunteering and fundraising as a Veterans Advocate with Veterans Association of North County (VANC) and as Chaplain and Veterans Service Officer (VSO) of American Legion Post 760, Oceanside, CA. Matt has raised more than $50,000 for various Veterans and Gold Star Family Organizations to include $15,000 on the USS Midway showing the Film “No Greater Love,” that brought awareness to the issues of PTSD and Veteran Suicide. Matt has also participated in both San Diego and North County Standdown. Matt recently testified before a Congressional Field Hearing on the “Veterans Homeless Crisis” in the city of Oceanside, CA for California 49th District Congressman Mike Levin.
He has also participated in roundtable discussions on a variety of Veteran topics to include Veteran Homelessness, Veteran Housing, Veteran Employment and Veterans Education. Matt currently serves on Tasha Boerner-Horvath’s 76th California Assembly District Military Advisory Board and also on the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce Military Advisory Board.
While still on Active Duty, Matt volunteered over 700 hours supporting the Victims Assistance Unit of the El Paso, Texas, for District Attorney Jamie Esparza. Additionally, Matt created a program with the El Paso Police Department called V.I.S.T.A., Victim Services Team Approach that aided the police department in outreach to victims of crime. For Matt’s Volunteer Service, Matt was awarded the United States Army, “Volunteer Service Medal.”
Matt’s Non-Profit Volunteer Positions over the past 20 years have also included:
- Served as President of Parent/Teachers Association.
- Served as Vice President Board of Directors for Non-Profit Private School.
- Served 5 years as Board Member for San Diego Kiwanis Club with Ronald McDonald House CEO, Chuck Day and with San Diego Food Bank CEO, James Floros.
- Served as Veterans Coalition Chair for San Diego County with Meg Wittman, Carly Fiorina, and Senator John McCann.
- Co-Chaired and worked on both Neighborhood House and Chicano Federation Gala Committee.
- Served as Ambassador San Diego International Film Festival Military Film Track.
- Served 1 year as 2nd Vice Commander and 2 years as Commander of San Dieguito American Legion Post 416, Encinitas, CA, and he is a member of the Veterans of Foreign War (VFW).
- Currently serves as Chaplain and Veteran Service Officer for American Legion Post 760, Oceanside, CA.
- Served as an Honor Flight San Diego Guardian for a 91-year-old Korean War Veteran.
- Matt is also member of San Diego Military Advisory Council.
- Matt is also a member of Veterans – Empowered and Successful and Thriving (VEST) Action Group with SDVC.
- San Diego County Afghan Resettlement Task Force Co-Chair, Social, Cultural, Emotional, and Cultural Working Group